One afternoon one of the normal cooks who goes over to the president’s cottage could not attend. I was told to step in and help with preparation. The head Chef had been working on the work by himself for awhile and realized he was not going to get it all done and still have time to take it over to the cottage and set up. I was told to crisp the skin on the black se bass that was to be served that night. I had thirty seven pieces of fish and there where going to be thirty six guests that night so messing up was not an option no matter what. I was a little nervous with all the pressure but it worked out well and the fish came out great. The next thing I knew I was on my way to the president’s cottage with Chef Jeff Bennett in a golf cart. Golf carts are the main means of transportation within the Chautauqua institution. We arrived with time to set up and get everything in order before starting assembly of the first course. We had a small table to plate every course on the cottages white plates. The dinner went out well, all the food looked great and the guests were very happy. Once we were all cleaned up we walked out the back door and drove away on our golf cart in the rain. Yes, the rain is an understatement to just how bad it was raining. We walked in to kitchen of the hotel dripping head to toe. Nevertheless the evening was a success. I was so thrilled to have had the chance to take part in just a unique experience. I find that cooking these small events in private homes is my kind of cooking. I am really passionate about cooking great food for smaller groups of people. I feel since you have to little to make there is not reason it cannot be perfect. I hope in the future I can take part in more of these private events and get the opportunity to enjoy this experience again.
No comments:
Post a Comment