Since I started working, each of my jobs has been in the food industry. I began at a local ice cream shop, moved on to a low key waitressing position, then I spent a year on prep in a fine dining establishment, worked on externship, and now I am currently working front-of-the-house in a café. Although my experience in each place is unique from the others, instability of labor is one thing they all have in common.
How is a manager certain those they hire will be effective and trustworthy? And from there, how does an establishment create and maintain a strong, unified team? These two tasks seem to be the most difficult and yet the most important in creating an effective working environment, in any industry. Based upon my observation, I have concluded that the significant factor behind these issues is variance in personality. Even in my minimal experience, I have seen uncontrollable egos and persons with little to no confidence working in the same location. I have worked with both unmotivated employees and workers who are determined to get the job done well. And I have watched some take direction will others cringe at any form of criticism. With these differences being prevalent in almost any work environment, I am not surprised how rare it is for a good team to form.
No comments:
Post a Comment