Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Baptism by Fire

"The Magic Apron" as it is so affectionately called is really a euphemism for whomever is leading you. It really means, know it and do exactly what your told or good luck with everything. I'm not a fan of the magic apron, sometimes it works, sometimes it dosen't. I'm speaking of experience here as my first job at age 14 i was working at "Durty Nelly's Bar and Grille" for my friends dad as a dishwasher. He also happened to be the head chef/kitchen manager. I was hired as a dishwasher, and as a dishwasher i was expected to do just that, wash dishes, or so i thought. This one particular night though we were exceptionally busy and my chef called "Hey Jesse, come in here for a minute." That minute turned into the rest of the night as I was told, "You're going to be the new prep cook/line cook... Good Luck." Floundering and trying to find out procedures and what to do really, to be flat honest, sucked, but this baptism by fire really caused me to realize that i loved cooking and returned the next night perfectly ready to go. My other friends I worked with quit after those nights because they couldn't handle the "magic apron." I did so, but didn't enjoy it. I think the magic apron should never be employed. Train Train Train Train Train somebody. ALWAYS TRAIN FIRST.

No comments:

Post a Comment