Monday, October 18, 2010

Does Training Matter?

“Hey do this.”

“You’ve been here two weeks and don’t know how.”

“Nobody trained me I just came here and started going.”

We see this every day especially in our industry. People come in and because of their resume everybody expects the new employee to be able to do the job day one. This isn’t to be mistaken for lack of knowledge. If a person doesn’t know how to do the job, training won’t help. If you don’t train a new employee on how your line works, plating, and how the station runs and give the employee a magic apron it’s doomed to fail.

This can lead to many things other than a bad production night and unhappy customers. My last job I went to there was a real lack of training. Two weeks into the job I was still asking what or how to do things. I studied and watched how everything worked but I couldn’t get everything down. This left me feeling like the company didn’t care. The employee turnover rate was high and still is high. Training an employee doesn’t just help an employee to know what he is doing. It also gives him the sense that he matters. When an employer invests his time in the employee, the employee will give his best to the employer.

No comments:

Post a Comment