Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Being Logical Takes Time

Making decisions seems to be one of the most analytical processes. It doesn’t matter how extreme the situation, our mind travels through a series of emotions that impacts our decision directly. I have experienced this pattern in nearly every aspect of my life whether the situation has been with a friend or a job.

Frustrating situations have definitely been the most difficult for me because I have such a strong impulse to act intuitively and impulsively. If someone or something angers me, I have an urge to snap back and make the other side mirror my hurt. I have found, however, that if I wait 20 minutes or so, I follow into that indecisive phase. I ask myself, “What should I do here? Is this response reasonable given what happened? Will I regret making this comment? Does this action really do anything for me or is it just satisfying temporarily?” I become doubtful of what I had originally planned and yet am still not in an emotional place where I can or want to consider any reasonable options. This is the toughest part because resolution can feel so distant. If I have not already responded to the situation by this time, I find that I gradually lose the passion that sparked this whole process and can finally move into the rational thought process. I am definitely one to make lists to help and fight my own argument. And doing this usually helps me to walk out of the situation feeling okay about how I handled things. For me, I always try to put a couple hours in between significant decisions as it gives me time to separate my emotions from what is logical.

No comments:

Post a Comment