Saturday, October 9, 2010

Motivation is a must

In the industry that we are in motivation is a must. If you or your team of employees do not have motivation you will fail. Not having motivation will cause bad productivity which in the end will equal unhappy customers. During my time at the C.I.A I have witnessed un motivated people, which confuses me. If your in school to do something that you love why aren't you giving it your all, day in and day out. This was also true when I got to my externship, some of the other externs there were not motivated. The chef would use motivation through fear, saying " I can always terminate your externship". In my opinion, if you have to motivate someone through fear, that person is not needed.
I understand that you are going to have to motivate the unmotivated sometime in your career, the theory that I know that will not be used in my kitchen, economic person theory. This theory basically says that all people want is money and that's all that will motivate them. In the video that we watched proved this theory wrong, with the candle experiment. Secondly, once the employee reaches his/her incentive, what happens next? The person becomes worthless once again waiting for more money.
When it comes down for me to start looking for employees, one of the main characteristics that I will be looking for is motivation. You can teach someone how to cook, and how you want it cooked, but something that you cannot teach is hustle and motivation. For some it comes naturally and those are the ones that I want on my team.

No comments:

Post a Comment