Wednesday, October 20, 2010
The magic of the magic apron
My first real job was when I was 15, I had extensive one week training before I even touched a knife. I was at a retirement community in my town and being a large corporation they need to make sure all of their employees get the same training. I really enjoyed the training, it made the transition into the work place much easier. My second job was at a boy scout summer camp, and was a much different experience. The kitchen staff, to cook three meals a day for 200-300 scouts, staff, and visitors, consisted of three people. The “Head Chef” who slept all day and did half of the ordering. The “Baker” who was a soon to be student at a local baking college who made all the desserts from box mixes and did a little prep work. And then there was me. I had to do everything else. Granted the food was pre cooked, frozen, throw it in the oven and its done type stuff, but for 300? Its not that easy. There was no training what so ever. I threw on an apron and went to work. However I personally believe I learned more from that work environment than anything else I had done. It forced me to be on my toes at all times and soak everything in. Its not a scenario for everyone but It can be beneficial.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment