It was a Thursday night, one of the busiest for the restaurant, and I was put on salads and bread ovens. Granted it didnt sound that hard but this was the first time I had ever used a wood burning brick oven and the first time I had ever made the sauces or set up the station. I walked in early, was taught how to clock in, and given a list of my prep, and station set up. No tour of the kitchen, No examples of dishes, and No help understanding the Order, Fire, P/U system. I spent the whole night "en la mierda," to say the least. I didnt know the name for it back then but obviously the Elizabeths training regiment is that of the "Magic Apron."
From my first hand experience the Magic Apron is not a smart way to train your employees. I saw the plates I was sending out that night and if I was management, most of those would have never left the kitchen. The Magic Apron can be a good training style though if you have someone with an extensive amount of experience and the training methods would ultimately be pointless for the person.
No comments:
Post a Comment