Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Planning & Organizing
Over the past year I have learned how important plans and organization is to succeed in the kitchen and in life. I always thought I was an organized person until getting to college. B block was a challenge juggling all five classes and staying organized. After a couple weeks of developing a pattern I found I needed to plan my week out better. Staying organized isn't just planning, but following through with the plan and not procrastinating. Throughout L block I have found that I am much more prepared for classes, projects, and test. I have found in order to do well in college you must be organized. Make lists often, write post its if necessary, check lists daily and cross things off. In doing this it makes you feel as though you have accomplished something and pushes you to finish your list. These are a few things I have found to be effective in college. I feel the same way about working in kitchens. The more I have worked, I realize it is essential to being a good leader and running a kitchen. The few chefs I have had an oppurtunity to work under have all been fairly well organized. In observing this over and over I don't feel you can be a successful kitchen if plans are not in action. I have seen and heard many horror stories of kitchens failing. If you were to look at the reasons why, often it goes back to not having an effective plan. You always need a base or plan to start with or it makes it harder to be organized. I love to plan my days and weekends and organize events. This is a skill that my mom has instilled in me ever since I was little. I have carried this through with me into the kitchens and found it to be very helpful. When a station is well organized and a plan is in action you are less stressed and can execute well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment