Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Motivation

Motivation can come very easily to some people and not so easy to others. For some it is a natural motivation that they are very lucky to have. In life I have seen many different forms of how people are motivated. I have seen it in jobs and in real life day to day situations. I would say that today the most common form of motivation I see in people is the economic theory. Our generation is struggling very much with the economy and getting by each day that their main purpose of working is to be able to provide food and shelter for their families. Because of this theory of the economy people will work as hard as they can as their paycheck as their reward. I think this also connects to the carrot and stick theory. Their carrot is their paycheck each week or every two weeks. I think it is sad that today we see very little of theory Y motivation. People should like to work and to enjoy satisfying customers. Today most people are only working for certain reasons. It is money, reward, threats/fear, and positive reinforcement. I have seen this first hand through my father. He used to love his job and loved going to work every day. Now he hates his job and is really only in it because he has to do it for an income. He is very unhappy due to a lack of a positive work climate and everyone he works with has a very low morale. Anybody would have a hard time being self motivated in a situation like that. Adding to all of this I just hope that our generation can start to change these forms of motivation and that we start to see more of "theory Y" motivation. We should all be doing what we love to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment