Monday, September 27, 2010

Participative Management

My externship was spent at The Atlantic Inn on Block Island, RI. Right away, the executive chef made it clear that he lead the kitchen as a democracy, and was always looking for our input. Within the first few weeks the chef, two other externs and I tasted wines together, and developed a menu for an event that paired dishes with each wine. Knowing that the chef appreciated my opinion made me feel like an important part of the kitchen, and not just an extern. The menu at the restaurant changed weekly and our input was always welcome. Every day we made a different amuse bouche and several times over the summer the kitchen staff was given a challenge, very similar to a Top Chef quick fire, to come up with a concept using a list of ingredients from our chef and the winning amuse bouche was used that night. Working in a kitchen under participative management was the best environment I could have asked for, I felt a level of respect from my chef that made me want to push myself and work harder.

-Morgan Acampora

No comments:

Post a Comment