Thursday, September 23, 2010

Forming Leadership Styles

“Leadership should be born out of the understanding of the needs of those who would be affected by it.” – Marian Anderson. Mrs. Anderson puts it best. Before taking on a leadership position, we should take into account the serious consequences of every decision we make. As leaders, we need to make levelheaded and rational choices because they affect others.

I think that people loose the definition when they take on a position of leadership. We forget the reason we lead; we are placed in a leadership role so that we can show others how to reach their highest potential. Our book defines leading as “Guiding and interaction with employees regarding getting certain goals and plans accomplished; involves many skills, such as communicating, motivations, delegating and instructing.” These skills are our bases in leadership. You need to use each one to become a successful leader. With these basic skills, we now can choose what style of leadership suits our employees the best.

Everyone has his or her own leadership style. They can choose which qualities compliment their personality and the personality of their staff. The leadership styles that I want to emanate are the situational and transformational leadership styles. The situational style is better for the newer employees. You give them a direct job and then show supportive behavior such as praise or encouragement.

Newer employees want direction and to know that they are valued. Once the employees are acclimated to their new environment, I would use transformational leadership. This style is about growing your employees to their highest potential. You give them challenging jobs with support and mentorship. Not only are you giving your employees confidence in their work, you are also leading by example and coaching along the way.

I think these styles are how I would lead my team but to each their own. We all work in different kitchens and bakeshop with needs specific to their team. I am really enjoying getting to learn about different leadership styles. It is helping me define my leadership style before I am faced with a major leadership role.

No comments:

Post a Comment