Friday, September 24, 2010

Blogging...

“You belong at home having babies, women aren’t suppose to be in the kitchen.” This is what I was told by my forty-something year old male coworker, harassment? But anyways, I blew that off because it was during the same time that I was dealing with my direct supervisor on my externship. This was my sous chef, a C.I.A. graduate, nice guy who genuinely wanted to help me when I had questions. The problem began in the beginning there weren’t friendship/supervisor boundaries established and things became very blurry about halfway through my externship. He suddenly realized that these boundaries weren’t there and I had become too comfortable around him and other employees, so he decided to switch it up one week unbeknownst to me. What a surprise for me to come into work and immediately get yelled at by someone who previously had greeted me with a good morning whenever I came in for my shift. After a week of dealing with his poor temper and aggressive attitude I asked him what the problem was and why he had been acting so differently all week. He responded that he had been too tired to do his proper tasks and now he was going to be doing what he should’ve been doing all along. I didn’t think it would be so difficult to attempt to reestablish those boundaries with him but it was. From then we constantly argued and several times he took me into his ‘office’ also known as the hallway and told me that I needed to check my attitude or I would be sent home. Seeing this happen made me more aware of the boundaries that need to be established between employees and supervisors. Once that boundary is crossed it is seems almost impossible to reestablish a firm line.

No comments:

Post a Comment