Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Management Memories of Extern

Reading through the first through chapters of Supervision in the Hospitality Industry has really sparked a few memories of mine working down in Disney on my externship. I had a total of 5chefs working directly over me in a hierarchy of sorts. Chef Gregg was the resort chef and lead in command, next was Area Chef Anthony, and under him were the three Sous Chefs Allen, Brian, and Michael and they all had different styles; some successful, some not as successful as the rest. I understand this is very difficult a thing, but you do need to find your own niche.
Chef Gregg was a “Napoleon” of sorts. He really wasn’t good at communicating what he wanted, but you never said anything crass or cross around him. He was very autocratic which really crippled him and us because we never wanted to show him anything fresh or exciting or from the heart because we were more afraid of him snapping and yelling at us. Luckily he was only at the restaurant about twice every month.
Chef Anthony was much better than Chef Gregg: he was passionate, could communicate what he wanted and inspired us to be better, but he was rarely seen in the kitchen falling under the “Laissez-faire” category. I really enjoyed him, just wish he would have been there more often.
The Sous Chefs were the one who were directly involved and all had their strengths and weaknesses. Brian was very Bureaucratic in his style, but also was participative. Allen was very democratic unless he got flustered and unfortunately he was a boomerang manager as whenever possible he would jump on the line to help even if the help wasn’t warranted. Michael was very humanistic; you could tell he cared about you. In regards to decision he was very democratic, but you took into account human need and human feelings as they are.
They all were strong, and all had a few weaknesses which I am learning from as I still speak with them. Regardless of this they were successful in their managing which is what matter. I just hope I can form my niche and hope to be as successful as these managers.

No comments:

Post a Comment