Monday, September 20, 2010

Over the course of my time spent at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center, I was lucky enough to be exposed to an incredible style of management. To say Pete Weien, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Opryland, has found a near flawless formula for effective management would be an immense understatement. As I read about the numerous theories of people management in chapter 1 of our textbook, I couldn’t help but think about the way Pete managed all of his STARS (employees). Pete’s management style has a strong focus on participative management and the human relations approach, with a dash of scientific management blended in. During my one month spent at Opryland, I was able to participate in the STARS talent show, join the Opryland soccer club, and attended the Social Gala for the STARS. Pete believes if STARS are happy, guests will in turn be happy, which will lead to great profit. Perhaps this is the reason Opryland has consecutively been named as “The Best Place to Work” by The Nashville Business Journal. Although I do not remember exact numbers, I do recall being told during my 16-hour orientation that the turnover rate at Opryland is much lower than at other facilities in the hospitality industry. In fact, the majority of my co-workers in the pastry shop have been employed by Gaylord Entertainment for longer than I have been alive. Perhaps this is the reason Pete was named “Best General Manager in America” in 2006; or perhaps it is because he finds it important to be on a first-name basis with all of his STARS; or perhaps it is because he makes himself visible to not only his employees, but to guests as well. Either way, I am very thankful I was given the opportunity to work for such a successful manager and I believe my experience at Opryland will ultimately aide me in one day becoming a great manager myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment