Monday, September 27, 2010

In the kitchen at the Athenaeum Hotel the initial vibe I picked up was laid back. Everyone was very relaxed and just wanted to make sure the food went out at its best. There was some casual chatting between cooks. They played the radio while we worked and everyone was in good spirits. I had not trouble meeting people and they had no problem welcoming me into the kitchen family. As in every kitchen there were times where people were having a bad day but not because of the work in the kitchen mostly because of an outside issue. Most of pre-season everyone got along very well, all the food went out as it was supposed to. I liked my co-workers, they made work more like hanging out with friends and doing what I love to do which is cook. As the weeks went on more workers for the regular season started to show up and work a few days a week. A new kid named Jason started working a few weeks after I started. He was a nice kid with a lot of good culinary ideas. He had a certificate from a school a friend of mine went to in Pennsylvania. I knew what kind of education he had received and this didn’t lower my respect for him and his food but it also didn’t raise my expectations for say it lightly. He had an attitude opposite of mine and that was that I was below him since I had not finished my schooling yet and he had. We seemed to collide on ideas in several ways. It came down to whenever I came up with an idea of how to finish a dish or hold an item till service he would defend an opposite standpoint then mine for no reason. We never really had an outright fight on anything it was always undertones, which made work less and less enjoyable. Then a few more workers started once the season started. The season was pretty busy so people really did not get a chance to start fights or even negative thoughts toward others. I had one kid who also was in culinary school, who went to Alfred State and he had a problem with me a lot like the problem I had had with Jason. He was put under me to help me with appetizer preparation and setup. At the time I did not realize it but I did treat him like an inferior, which was wrong. I would make him to the crap work I did not want to and he caught on quick. He would do thing that he knew annoyed me and I would let it get to me. I tried talking to one of the Chefs about him and just asked if he could help someone else and that I would do the appetizers by myself. They complied and moved him to the back line, which worked out well for a while. He and I had a few little arguments but nothing too bad and we just grew to like each other as friends. Things started to really flow well with the kitchen and everyone knew their spots and their responsibilities. I think whenever the problems can up I was able to handle them well as instructed in my interpersonal skills class at the Culinary Institute of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment