Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Learning from supervisors
I've worked in a couple different kitchens, and have seen quite a variety of different leadership qualities from supervisors. In class it was mentioned that the best way to learn the expectations and duties as a manager or supervisor is by seeing it in person - learning by example. Although some supervisors that I have worked under have had an autocratic approach, I have learned quite a bit from them. I was shown a very negative approach to the way they applied themselves in different situations, and I saw exactly everything that a supervisor should not be. Staying positive and looking on the bright side wasn't always easy at times, but it was definitely a good learning experience for me and my co-workers. On a better note, I worked under a fantastic executive pastry chef, and assistant pastry chef. I mainly worked with the assistant pastry chef, and I learned so much. Other than all of the techniques and methods that I was shown, I was given a great example of what's expected in a great supervisor. He always handled situations very professionally, and in the best way possible. He was always available for questions and help when needed, and made sure that everything was going smoothly in the kitchen. I feel as though it is tough to maintain a steady balance between keeping up on professionalism, and being a "cool" approachable supervisor at the same time. I really admire a supervisor that has that balance, it seems to make all that much of a difference in a kitchen setting where everyone is part of a team.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment