After reading through Chapters 1 and 2 in our Introduction to Management book, the most intriguing topic for me has been the idea of the boomerang supervisor. In a new managerial position, I feel I would have a hard time finding a balance between maintaining my relations with all employees and asserting my newfound authority. I could see myself overcompensating in an attempt to be accepted into this new image. I may come on too strong and strict, loosing the majority of all current employees’ respect or I may present my supervisory position in a weak manner, resulting in them viewing my authority as a joke and believing they have the power to take advantage. Coming from an employee’s viewpoint, I have witnessed both transformations and in each case I did not respect my new manager. Of course this is not how I would ideally approach the situation, but as I have very little experience in any form of leadership, I couldn’t help but wonder if I would fall into the boomerang supervisor category. If and when I am put in this position, I hope to remind myself of this idea and be more cautious in how I approach my former coworkers.
No comments:
Post a Comment